Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Self Watering Containers

So, there's this new-ish thing I learned about: a self-watering garden pot. Now I'm sure there have been this type of thing available for quite some time. But these are a well-designed system, and I first heard of them in respect to a rural farming improvement project that caught my attention.

They're called Earth Pots and they have a water reservior in the bottom, a reversable cover to reduce pests and maintain maximum moisture and avoid over-heating in extremely hot areas. The idea is that people living in places with no real access to fertile soil can grow vegetables to feed their families in a pot! It takes little effort and minimizes destructive factors without pesticides in the air or water.

This seems like a great idea to me. The idea behind the rural farming part of it is to donate these pots to families in poor countries. It was on Rick Bayless' show on PBS. And, try though I might (because I'm a skeptic at heart) I haven't been able to find anything terrible about it....they seem to be made responsibly, and given away to people in need. If it's a good as it sounds, it sound good to me! Follow the link below to see a video about how it works. ~M.J. Spring

No comments: