Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thanksgiving with a twist

Thanksgiving
This thanksgiving I did a first for my family and brought a guest to dinner. My guest was my roommate who couldn't afford to fly home for both thanksgiving and christmas. My roommate is Columbian and was raised by his bilingual and comlunbian raised mother.

Bryce was raised in America, but has had the luxury of being extremely aware of foreign practices and traditions. We were talking about what our parents do for us when we come home from school, and Bryce told me about how his mom always makes curry and fried rice for him. This made me start thinking. My parents were raised in California and Illinois, by grandparents from western first world countries. I didn't try curry until I was off away at college, my family dinners growing up were predominantly European and American food. I didn't even consider how this effected me, but I consider ethnic foods as special or different from European food. I would never consider curry as a comfort food, but my American raised roommate, with foreign parents, do. Its an interesting idea, how food is certainly a raised or nurtured characteristic. Upbringing goes beyond just personality and perspective, but also into food, and perhaps, even hygiene or who knows what other things.

-Niki Lesniak

1 comment:

Food Practices said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.